Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Friday, October 21, 2011

Quite an exciting week in Karanse!

Though it wasn't all the good kind of exciting!

The first part was: our student teachers' last teaching week before they go into their "real" schools in January. We were expecting big things from them, and told them so, as this was their 6th teaching week in over a year. Overall, we were very pleased. We saw computers being used in ICT (Information, Communication, and Technology), one of the students cooked pillau with his class (his first time ever, so he had one of the lady teachers help him!), we saw some good (and improving) devotions lessons, civics, geography, English, math, personality and sports with lots more assessments (things to grade, basically), better conclusions to lessons, rules posted of expected student behavior - all things we'd told them we were looking for. So that was all good.

However, on Wednesday, right after lunch, I looked out the window to see a small boy on the ground with teachers around him and lots of blood. When I saw someone arrive with a bike, I knew that was to take him to the clinic, so I volunteered my car and was quickly accepted. Issagya, the pre-one teacher, went with me so he could explain to the nurses at the clinic what had happened. There was so much blood that it was hard to tell at frst, but I suspected a broken nose because that's what appeared to be doing the bleeding. At the clinic, there was a line of people waiting, but bleeding boys must get priority because we walked right into an exam room. After lots of swabbing (and spitting up even more blood) it was determined that he might have broken blood vessels in the inside of his nose. However, about that time, Kellie (Kelvin, but that's what Issagya kept calling him) also started complaining of the back of his head hurting. He and another boy had been playing on the hill, and the other boy's knee had smashed into Kellie's nose, and Kellie fell back on the ground. The sister/nurse gave him a pain pill, put ice on his head, then he fell asleep. I was thinking concussion at this point, and we kept waking him up, asking him who we were, etc. Godfrey arrived, and after a consultation, he took Kellie home. Amazingly, he was back at school the next day!

That was certainly more important than the last of the exciting things to happen, which involves mice in our guest house at Angaza! Wednesday night, I was standing in the kitchen, getting veggies ready for the soup we would cook in our crock pot that night (whle we had power), and a mouse ran into the kitchen! I don't know who was more surprised, but Joelle said I was louder! He ran and hid, and we left the kitchen as soon as we could! When I got in bed, I noticed this odor in my room, so I sprayed something and just went to sleep, knowing I couldn't deal with it at night. My bed is next to a wardrobe/cupboard, and I had a feeling something dead was in there. The next morning I looked , and nothing. So, I pulled my bed away from the wall, and saw a tail! I went and got Joelle and asked her to look and see if it was, indeed, a dead mouse. Since I knew I had slept over it all night, I just couldn't bear to see it! It was, and she disposed of it!

The story doesn't end there! I said, "mice," in our house! Thursday late afternoon, Joelle decided to take a shower, and I heard an, "Eeeek," sound from the shower room! I was so hoping it was just cold water, as the water heater hadn't been on very long, but, no. She came and said, "The mouse ran across my foot! And now he's just sitting there looking at me!" I told her I'd go get James, the young man who does everything at Angaza, but she said, no, she'd take care of it. I gave her a blanket, she wrapped it up and took it outside. We both saw it run off, terrified, I'm sure! I so missed Moses at that point!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment