Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Dressmaking, Tanzania-style and a little work

I already know about buying fabric and having someone here make it; I've done that many times before. But, I tried a new sewing person and just got my new outfits (and 2 decorative though not very comfortable pillows for my bed) this past Sunday night. I am very pleased with his work! I had been given 2 pieces of fabric a couple of summers ago, and I just never got them made up, so I showed Julius what I wanted, and he did such a nice job.
My friend, Janet, also had some fabric made up for a 2 piece outfit, and 1 piece of light cottony fabric for a nightgown. We could both tell that the nightgown concept was particularly "foreign" and couldn't wait to see what came back! It really looks like a summer sheath, complete with facings and a zipper - not necessarily something you want in a nightgown! She's going to have him remove the zipper, at the very least!
My pillows are pretty, but I think he stuffed them with rags, so they're not soft, but will definitely keep their shape for a long time (unlike bed pillows you sleep on here!).
My housemates were so impressed that they went right out and bought fabric, and I gave them a fashion show of all my TZ outfits to give them an idea of what to have him do for them!
Now, about work, now that the students are on holiday. Joshua had gotten in a shipping container of more school books than I've ever seen in one place, and they have been filling up our education office, and are in piles in the container-storage space. (Containers here are used for offices, storage, a classroom, etc. NOTHING goes to waste!) Janet and I were assigned the huge task of organizing those, getting them out of the office, and onto the shelves that have been built in the container. We worked yesterday afternoon, when it was so hot in there, and then all morning this morning, and can finally see some organization beginning to happen. This will probably be our on-going job for the rest of the week, apart from mentor-training meetings and a trip tomorrow to see our schools and accomodations for our weeks out in the villages. Janet and Corrine will be at St. Dorcas, where 1/2 of our Karanse graduates are in secondary school. The two of them haven't been there and would, of course, like to see it before they begin living there for 2 weeks out of every month. Joelle and I will be going to visit Karanse and Angaza (where we will stay) because Joelle hasn't been to either place, and there are still arrangements to set up or finalize. Even though I have been lots and lots, I can't wait to go! Though school is out for holidays right now, I'm hoping there will be children and teachers around to visit, and I have a couple of jobs to do for Perimeter while I'm there.
The next week, lots more meetings to help us know what our part is, then we finally get to go! That part seems to be taking so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment