Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's election season, so Miriam for.....?!

Last week in Karanse, the students in the equivalent of 4th grade had their nat'l exams. Some of the things this meant were they were the only ones at school for the 2days of exams, really long recesses for them, and extra-special lunch for the teachers and visitors from the gov't! During one lunch, Joelle and I were talking with Godfrey about educational policies in TZ, like nat'l exams for 4th and 7th grade that determine your educational (and thus your life's) future. Godfrey was saying those may be phased out as the gov't wants everyone to get a high school education. Unfortunately, they're not training the number of additional teachers this will take. It's not all that unusual to have classes of 75-200 in high schools here. At one point Godfrey began telling us about the current Minister of Education. He isn't an educator but an engineer, and the new policies are his way of putting his mark on the educational system of TZ. Godfrey then said, "I wish Miriam was the Minister of Education." I assured him I would be very unpopular as I would go to most schools saying, "No, stop that!" to so many things I'd see!

Back to Joshua this week. In "my" 4 year old class, they are now talking about the Christmas story and singing Christmas songs. They only have this week and next, and then are out until the beginning of the year. The main grocery store, Shoprite, put up Christmas decorations on Nov. 1, but we're celebrating Thanksgiving, complete with turkey, this Saturday night. (The mentors will be out in schools next week, and no one else cares when we celebrate it since they don't even know what it's for!) I'm making the mashed potatoes, even though I really wanted to make my dressing! However, no Jiffy cornbread mix here - imagine that! However, there will probably not be any cranberry sauce, as that has to be imported and costs the equivalent of $12-$13!

A team from Perimeter Church was here last week for d'ship training, and I got to spend some time with them on Sunday afternoon. That was like being "home" for a little while! I had also listened to 2 CD's from services at church, and I just grinned as I listened to Laura lead worship! Definitely felt like I was "home!"

I also helped with our church's Children's Day on Saturday - about 25 children from 3-10 from 10 in the a.m. till 4:30 p.m. Long day, but many diferent activities and a good way to meet other people in the church and serve in some capacity.

One of my "new" jobs is proofreading curriculum! My niece Bethany has done that for her college newspaper and a music magazine, so maybe it runs in our family to be picky with other's people's work! Mentors on our staff are writing our college curriculum just weeks before we use it in schools, and I've started proofreading it before the final publishing. It at least means I get a sneak peek at what I will teach out in schools!

Speaking of mentoring, we go out next week, then the following Thursday and Friday are their exams, and the term is over! Next term, they will be in the clasrooms more, with our observing them, along with coursework, which will continue when they're not practice-teaching. They are very worried about exams, as this is such an exam-driven country, but we think they are showing good understanding of their studies.

Also next week is the graduation of our current 7th grade class. this is the second graduation for our school and such a milestone. I'm so thrilled to get to attend this one, and we have promised our student-teachers the day off so we all can celebrate (and serve!)!

In case I don't get on again for a week or so, Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment