Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving in Tanzania

As you would guess, this is not a big holiday in Tanzania! However, here at Joshua, there have been Americans on base for long enough that they have learned to celebrate this very American holiday! However, the mentors were supposed to be out in schools all this week, and since the only 2 Americans here at the moment are me and Janet (and we are both mentors) we moved the holiday up to last Saturday. Quite a large turn-out, 15 or so counting 3 little ones, enjoyed a wonderful feast of turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce (even though I saw it priced as high as the equivalent of $12.50 in one of the shops!!), mashed potatoes, gravy, butternut squash, green beans, and even pumpkin and pecan pies for dessert (though, sadly,no Cool Whip!). Janet gave the blessing, I got to tell all about the meaning and reasons for it, and we went around the table and everyone told what they were thankful for. Since there was no football to watch afterwards (!), we played a game for a while and enjoyed being together, just like a real family!

This was our last teaching week in schools as their exams are next week. After Monday, I mostly felt like I was supervising a study hall, since they were mostly finishing up assignments, and they didn't need me for that. I had taken 2 full suitcases of Project Child gifts from the Perimeter team that was just here, so Godfrey and I arranged a time for me to give out the gifts, along with hugs and encouragement from the sponsors. I got to do that on Thanksgiving morning! It was such a huge blessing to be the arms and words from all of those caring people. I even got a little teary at one point as I read a letter to one of the children from her sponsor, who has never met her. She said, "We have your picture in our kitchen, and we pray for you every night at dinner. We talk about you as if you were here." I just could barely read that out loud as it moved me to think of this sweet family and their love for this little girl they may never meet until Heaven. What great reunions there will be! I have to say, I want to be a part of all of those, too!

Joelle and I did come back Thursday (yesterday), Sarah was back shortly afterwards, and Corinne and Janet had come back with their students on Monday evening. (Long story I will tell some other time.) So we could have had our Thanksgiving dinner that night after all, but we had our weekly team dinner instead. However, everyone remembered to wish us Americans a Happy Thanksgiving.

Then today, we closed the primary school here at Joshua and had the end of term party with the 4 year olds, 5 year olds and the 1st graders. Cake and juice and singing and giving out their gifts: there was a school photo of each of them and a pencil of their own, and they were pretty thrilled with those. Reminded me, again, of all our children have at home and how even then, they're not always grateful!

7th grade graduation at Karanse was postponed till this coming Wednesday, so we still have that to look forward to before exams. Then, a week of grading, and finally, our holidays! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment