Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

7th grade graduation and Christmas preparations...

and end of term, grading exams, etc.!

Last Wednesday was such a long-awaited day: Standard 7 graduation, our second at Karanse. This is such a monumental thing for this community, to have so many students graduate with the hope of secondary school before them. Before the coming of our school, something like 7 children had ever left Standard 7 and gone on to "high school." Now, we have 2 classes and something like 40 students from our scxhool along going on to "further education." Many important dignitaries were on hand, lots of parents, the whole school, even though they were technically on holiday, our students teachers, Godsave and Isack from Imara, and Joelle and me. The skies went from blazingly bright to drizzling over the couple of hours, but it was well worth it. Lots of food was served to everyone later, and a good time was had by all. I took video, not pictures, but I know Joelle took pictures, so I'll see if I can get some to put on here.

Then Thursday and Friday the student teachers took their exams, and Joelle and I (with Perimeter paying) took all of the teachers from Karanse out to lunch on Thursday to thank them for a job well done this year. That was a big deal for everyone, and we enjoyed it, as well.

Back to En Gedi on Friday, running errands on Saturday, church and the pool on Sunday, then it was time to start "marking" exams. It's hard to get used to the grading scale (we consider 50 passing!), so it was easy to feel a little discouraged seeing all of those 60%'s, but that's like a C, so they'll be fine with it!

Last night I went to my friend Isack's house for a visit and dinner since I haven't been there this trip at all, shocking as that is! Of course, the power went off just at dark, so we ate and visited by the light of one candle and 2 flashlights! However, I love his family, and have known them since before Ebenezer, the oldest, was even born. Now there are 2 of them, just live wires, and we had a wonderful time.

Today is the staff Christmas party for our workers and their families: 40 workers, maybe 80 children, spouses of many - it should be a big deal! Games, food, presents, a proper party!

Have I mentioned I'm off to Zanzibar next week?! Sarah, a fellow mentor, and I leave Monday and get back Saturday. We're so looking forward to it! It's summer here, though not as hot as it will be in January, so going to the beach is perfect for December! I hear it's very cold at home, so maybe this sounds good there, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment