Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Saturday, May 21, 2011

2nd most exciting thing this week

This would probably have been the most exciting if I had seen it instead of just hearing about it, but there was an elephant in Karanse this week!

Abraham, one of our student teachers, and I were working in this little room that we use sometimes, and we heard what sounded like a crowd of people just yelling and screaming. I have to admit it kind of went over my head, as I was concentrating on something else, but sweet Abraham is so ADHD that he jumped up and was looking out the window in no time. I asked, "What is that?" and he said, "I will rush and find out!" Abraham rushes pretty much everywhere he goes, so that was no surprise! He came back to tell me that an elephant had gotten away from the game reserve nearby and was being chased through Karanse by screaming people trying to get him back to the game reserve! Teacher Moses rushed home to tell his wife not to go anywhere as he was afraid she would encounter the elephant, and she said it had already run past their house, and she saw it with her own eyes! Eventually they called the game warden, and he had to come shoot the elephant, but the villagers were given the meat.

As a tie-in to that, I think, the following story says that children are children everywhere. Manase, another of our student teachers, gave a short writing assignment to the 2nd graders to write about an animal. One child drew a picture of an elephant and wrote, "This is an elephant. I love the elephant. I want an elephant." We could only imagine that that came from the excitement over the elephant in Karanse (which I think would be a great title for a children's book!).

No comments:

Post a Comment