Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Birthday, Tanzania style

It's been over a week since my birthday, but with power shortage, internet "issues," etc. this is the first time I've had to write. Last year I was in Karanse for my birthday, and this year I was in Arusha. I was having a meeting at Imara the day before my birthday, so I made a cake (!) to take and share with them. On my actual birthday, one of my housemates, Shelley, had me a carrot cake for breakfast, and pancakes! So, with that sugar rush, the day was off to a great start! We had an education department meeting right after breakfast, and Joanna had made a big birthday brownie for morning tea to celebrate!

I had brought back a present and cards from home, so all day, I doled those out to myself. At team lunch, there was another carrot cake (good thing I like carrot cake!) from the Joshua "family." Later, my friend from Imara, Jenny, and Carly (newbie here from Australia that met last summer), and I met for drinks before dinner. Then, several of us met at my favorite Chinese restaurant for dinner. (I also took some carrot cake to share for dessert!)

To top off the sugar content of the day, Jenny, Carly, and I went out for dessert and hot tea after dinner! (Something other than carrot cake!)

All during the day, I also got to check emails and facebook, and I heard from so many people that it made it a very special day. Finally, that night I got to talk to family and friends at home, as my birthday was winding down.

Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment