Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Monday, January 23, 2012

Week in Kondoa 1

So much happened last week I think it will take several entries!

The first thing had actually started the week before when one of our student teachers, Agaba, did not show up when he was supposed to. When he finally did come, he and Obbo, the headmaster, had such a run-in that I got several texts and emails from both of them about how impossible it would be for them to work together! If Agaba can't do his practice teaching, he can't take his exam for certification, and he will have "wasted" a year and a half and countless money and investment. I got them to hold off till Sarah and I could get there, so first thing Monday morning (we had taken a 6 a.m. bus on Sunday morning and got there Sunday afternoon around 2), we were in Obbos' office discussing things. Our back-up plan was to send Agagba back to Karanse where he had been for the previous 15 months, but which he would, I was sure, want no part of going back to. Obbo was going to talk to Agaba after talking with us, but when we left him, he was adamant that he would not have Agaba working for him. I just prayed all morning, as I was observing,that God would work to soften his attitude. About 10, he found me in a classroom and said "Miriam, I want to think about Agaba.I told him we would meet at 1. Can you be there?" I was so shocked but agreed instantly and prayed even harder. The eventual outcome was that Agaba could stay for his practice teaching, but Obbo held out no hope of his continuing there after taking his exams in May. I decided we'd take one thing at a time, so we didn't tell Agaba part 2 of that decision, as I'm praying Agaba will prove himself to Obbo in the intervening months. Agaba started teaching first thing Tuesday morning to all 60+ second graders, as they'd been combined in the absence of a teacher for the previous week! He did a fine job, and Sarah helped them divide their classes, and we both observed him during the week. I thought he did a fine job, and I'm praying the oil and water of their beginnings won't adversely affect the rest of their time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment