Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Another week in Kondoa

Such a better start to this week. No drama on the bus, only about a 6 hour trip, a restful Sunday afternoon, then it was time for Monday and immigration. I wasn’t really worried; we had all the documentation they had asked for, but you just never know. Obbo, the headmaster, was supposed to meet Joelle and me and go with us, but SBC also had a team flying in, so he had to meet them at the airport instead. We bravely marched to the office, and Abdon, the young man I dealt with the most the last time, recognized me and greeted me as if we were old friends. I introduced him to Joelle, he asked about Sarah, and we handed over our letters, permits, copies of passports, etc., and he went off to show them to his supervisor. He came back shortly, tried to find something we hadn’t done, failed, and let us go! That was such a wonderful way to begin our week!

Time we got to school we saw the SBC team, but they were busy with meetings and sponsored children, so we didn’t get to spend time with them. Instead, we headed for the classrooms. It was a good reunion, and then we got down to work! Lots of observations and feedback, meetings, work on the school timetable, rehearsal for a science demonstration by Elijah’s class on Thursday, some work in the library with resources – a varied week, to say the least!

Time we saw the children at morning tea on Monday, I asked Daniel to show me his 2 sisters that are there. One is 8, and her Maasai name is difficult, so she is now called Love. The other one is only 5, and she is Glory. Due to language issues, they are both in the second kindergarten class together and are just so sweet. One night we took the teachers out for Paul’s birthday dinner, and I told Daniel and Elijah they could bring their siblings. Daniel sat between the girls, ordered for them, cut up their food when they needed it, and was such a daddy, it brought tears to my eyes. During the week, at the oddest times I would think, “These girls are so young he could be responsible for them for 10 more years. When he gets married, they will probably move in with him and his bride.” Then, watching the girls in kindergarten, I was struck again by how young they are to be without a mother. That’s when I remember what a tough place this is and how hard life can be for them.

Left on Friday (at 6!) and were home by lunchtime. That is supposed to be my last trip to Kondoa, but I may see if I can squeeze one more in – they’re all just so great, and I don’t feel like I got to

No comments:

Post a Comment