Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Monday, June 25, 2012

Goodbyes begin

Friday I went to Karanse for the first, and possibly hardest, of my TZ goodbyes. One of the many things I have learned this time around is that I‘m not the only one who needs the closure of goodbyes. Godfrey had told me to give him a couple of days’ notice before coming out, and I did. Carly and I went (in time for morning tea, of course!); she went to preschool, and I went to meet with Godfrey. I had presents and had meant to write all of the teachers’ notes, but somehow forgot to actually do it. So after my meeting with Godfrey I went to the dining hall to write notes, and interrupted the decorating! As we had arrived, I had heard a drum and singing, but decided not to ask too many questions, so I also pretended to ignore the decorating! Godfrey came in and told me the plan, as they brought in all the benches, rearranged the furniture, etc. The children would eat lunch, then everyone would gather in the dining hall for the farewell ceremonies, then the teachers and honored guests would eat. The ceremony was so lovely, without being overly maudlin. The children sang songs (good byes and telling all about Mama Karanse!), there was dancing by the children, and even the teachers danced and sang as they presented me with gifts. I had already seen Debora John and given her new shoes and a big hug, but Aneri and I couldn’t even make eye contact without tearing up, which was really sad. After all of their speeches, songs, and dances, it was my turn. The last time I had to do this I cried through the whole thing, but this was much easier, as it didn’t feel so final. I realize there’s an open door, so to speak, for my return, in whatever capacity God sees fit for me to come back. The last time I left, it just felt so final, but I realize that’s just not the case. Though my big gift will be curtains for the computer lab, I presented the school with a beautifully framed poster about using their gifts and talents well, as God gave them as gifts to them in the first place. Then I gave each of the teachers framed verses about building houses filled with beautiful treasures. Just after all of that, I asked Abraham to go get Aneri for me so I could say goodbye to him in private. We both were so close to tears, but it was necessary for us to have that time. A wonderful lunch, more goodbyes to each teacher, then Carly and I left. It was really good that she came, as she was my official photographer of the event! As soon as I get my memory stick with pictures from her, I’ll add them, too. More goodbyes to come, but I can make it through all of those with this one under my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment