Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Friday, June 8, 2012

Week in Karanse with the Perimeter team

Just got back yesterday from a week in Karanse with Carter’s team. So very special that “my” last team here was led by a former student of mine! We’ve been here in TZ together before, but this is the first team he’s led, and we’ve enjoyed the week so much. Last Saturday we were at the school for Compassion Saturday, where the Compassion-sponsored children, many of whom don’t go to our school, come for their Christian training, kind of like Sunday school, except on Saturday and at school not church. During the morning, I was sitting with some preschoolers, and they started to sing a song I hadn’t heard before. The only words I heard were, “I am not forgotten. I am not forgotten.” I assumed it was about not being forgotten by God, and it really touched me. These sweet little children in an unknown village in Africa aren’t forgotten by God. After lunch at the school on Saturday, we went on sponsored children visits with the team. We went to see 3 of their sponsored children at home, and those are always such touching times. Sarah, one of the college girls on the team, was given a chicken by her sponsored child’s family, and the other 2 visits were equally sweet. Sunday was a great worship service. We all share our testimonies or something God has been teaching us, and I used what I had heard from the children the day before. I told them it was my last time at church so I thought that meant I could speak a little longer and tell them what was on my heart for them. I used the children’s song to remind them they are not forgotten by God, either. There was a sort of subtext, for me, as I know I won’t forget them, either, and I am hopeful they won’t forget me. Another lunch at the school, then a few widows’ visits. We went to see the Flower Bibi, the lady who throws flowers during worship at the church to show her Amen to what is being said. She had not been at church that morning, and we had missed her. She could not have not been more thrilled to see us. The 2 other widows we visited were similarly touched and grateful. They think they are the ones blessed by our visits, but we are always the ones who walk away knowing we have learned lessons about humility and gratitude. On the way home, Godfrey was driving, and he said, “Miriam, there’s Jordan.” I was trying to figure out who that was, when I saw him. Jordan’s family gave us our first chicken on our first trip here, and I’ve known him since the beginning. He’s now in his third year of secondary (high) school. He took one look and shouted, “Miriam!” I waved and yelled out the window to him, too. My morning’s message came back to me; I am not forgotten, either. The rest of the week I read stories and did crafts projects in classrooms, met with Godfrey, then with Pastor, Godfrey, Rachel, and Elijah about the new library/admin building under discussion. Also, we planted trees, with the help of the fathers’ group, went to Wednesday morning devotions, gave out sponsored children gifts, and one of my favorites, dedicated the computer room. Godfrey had asked me to give a short speech on “Why a computer lab,” and I think that went well. I also got to see my Deborah John’s daddy, and we did our usual effusive greetings! Can’t wait till heaven when we can actually talk to each other! He speaks Swahili to me, and I speak baby Swahili to him, and we hug and grin and shake hands. It’s always very special to see him. Another first of the week was hearing the school song they have written! Very delightful to hear them sing about this school they love! Bittersweet good-byes as I didn’t have to say final good-byes like the team did, but I know mine are coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment