Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Just another typical drive into town

Yesterday Shelley, Sarah, and I headed in to Arusha to the Impala Hotel for a swim, since it's our vacation. As we neared town, we saw what looked like soldiers directing some cars off to the side of the road. Usually it's police, checking licenses and various stickers and documents hoping for a fine (otherwise known as chai money, or money for food and drinks for them!). This looked more official, and praying for invisibility wasn't working (my usual strategy), so Shelley started getting my papers out of the glove compartment, and I pulled over. Turned out to be a fire inspection. We are supposed to drive around with a fire extinguisher, and road triangle sgns in case of a break down. I had both of those, so Sarah handed him my extinguisher. He immediately said, "No, this is not the right kind. And you do not have a fire sticker on your windscreen." Amazingly, we could buy those from him for the low, low price of 60,000 Tshillings (about $40). I was pretty willing to do that just to save the hassle, but Sarah and Shelley started telling him we were part of an organization and our organization would have to sort that out. He told me my other option was to park my car and leave it! At that point I was really ready to pay up, but I'd already told him I didn't have the money. He asked did I want an askari (armed security guard) to go into town and get money with me. I said yes, because I thought he was bluffing. Sure enough, a very armed man walked over, but I don't think he was any more excited about getting in the car with 3 white women than we were about having an armed stranger in the car with us! More conversation, more looking at my papers, then they asked for the head of Joshua's phone number so they could call and verify our story. Everyone with any power is gone at the moment, so Josh Moose has proclaimed himself President of Joshua, as there's really no one else. We had called him to check out this story, and he said the guy was full of it, and it should no way cost that much, and not to give him the money.The fire inspectors eventually admitted that we have till Jan.1 to get these things, and since our organizaton was aware of it, they would have to let us go on our way. They did, however, call Josh (who they called Mr. Joshua, thinking it was his organization!), and he, of course, said he would handle it! This close to Christmas everyone is suspicious of extra "inspectons," as we don't really know where the money is going (or we do and don't want to contribute to their personal Christmas Club!).

You just never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment