Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Bible Study and the road from H*'**!

I can't believe I didn't write about my almost-aborted trip into town last Tuesday night for Bible Study! Njiro Road, where I live, has to be one of the worst roads in Arusha. For the last several km before En Gedi it not only isn't paved, it is only graded once a year (or so it seems; I can't honestly remember the last time it was graded). It's nearly impassable after a rain, and the rains have arrived! Last Tuesday, after a lengthy Monday night rain, Richard and Pamela were going into town in their 4 by 4. I asked them to let me know if they thought I could get into town in my Honda CRV. Pamela sent me a text later that afternoon saying I should be fine, unless it rained again. Richard said if it rained while I was at Home Group, I'd never make it back. That made me a little nervous, but I had dessert, am responsible for leading and picking up one of the guys who goes, and I'd missed 2 times while I was in the UK, so I hated to miss again. I left under the darkest sky I've ever seen and had not even gotten to the house where we meet when Sarah sent me a text that it was raining at home already. I asked Janet, at whose house we meet, if I could spend the night, and she said, Of course! She has 3 daughters, but they are all away at school, so I had my pick of bedrooms. It rained all during Home Group, and a couple of other people, including Zilpah, my TZ friend and neighbor who had been over visiting just as I got ready to leave for HG, called to suggest I not try coming home! So, sure enough, with no toothbrush, pjs, ear plugs, make-up for the next day, etc., I stayed the night! Janet has a home-based business of cake making, so the next morning I helped her with several cakes, we had tea, then I left to meet Carly for coffee and teacher talk. Carly works for Imara and is the only teacher on their staff, so we meet pretty regularly so she can vent about things no one else there "gets." After that, I finally braved the road home. It was sunny and clear, and the road was indeed a nightmare, but not nearly as much of one as it would have been in the dark! And it's Tuesday again, so I'm watching the skies, again! Looks good for tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment