Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Monday, July 26, 2010

A Typical (?!) Sunday in TZ

Though there's really no such thing as a typical anything in Tanzania, yesterday was such a great combination of some of the things that make up my life here, that I had to share them. First, on my way to church, I gave a ride to 2 people who either live at or were visiting EnGedi (the base where JTTC is located). One of them is a pastor-in-training, a lovely girl from Dubai, and the other was a Tanzanian pastor who had been at a conference with Lois, one of our ladies here on base who does women's conferences. Anna and I had never talked, but by the time I dropped her off at her church we had discussed what brought us here to TZ, a possible move for her to a church in Georgia (what a small world!), and her struggles with knowing the right thing God was leading her to. We found we had many things in common (including cats we love and have left behind!), so I told her I'd have her to dinner one night and we could continue finding out all about each other. Then Deo and I had a brief talk before I dropped him off; I found out later he was the pastor who got thrown in jail on Thursday due to Lois' conference at his church! I wish I'd known that so I could ask him all about that!
Then I arrived at Pepe's (the Italian/Indian restaurant where the Arusha Vineyard church is meeting). During our tea break between the singing and preaching, I had my morning samosa, talked with a few people, set up lunch plans, etc. My friend Jenny preached, based on the book The Prodigal God, which Mary Beth Stoudenmire had given me, and I gave to her! Good review of things I'd forgotten!
After church, I had to run get gas before meeting people for lunch, and I gave another friend, Mary, a ride. So glad I did because I'm having some electrical difficulties with my car, including opening the gas release door! Mary urged them in Swahili to really work at opening it as I really was low on gas!
Then we met Jenny and 2 younger ladies who are visiting from Australia at an Indian restauarant (very big here), for lunch. Last weekend Jenny and I had run into 2 friends of hers who are getting ready to move back to the States, so we were quizzing them on what they were getting rid of that we needed. One of the things I really want/need is a bedside lamp, as I hate getting out of bed, undoing the mosquito net, turning off the light, rearranging the mosquito net, then getting back in bed! Ross and Ramona had a clip-on gooseneck one, and lots of used clothing for Jenny to distribute, so we made plans to go get those yesterday.
Ross and Ramona had been at a ministry that includes an orphanage, so the 5 of us went there for our stuff and to cuddle babies for awhile! The orphanage is called Cradle of Love - don't you love that? They have children from birth to 3 years old, their youngest being 20 days old! We couldn't go in and hold the really tiny ones due to the new baby's immune system still needing more time to strengthen, so we went to the building with the toddlers - so cute!! They were just waking up from their afternoon naps, so they were still pretty cuddly! A few of them finally roused enough to go outside, so we carried armfuls of little ones outside to join them. Several of them were perfectly content to sit in laps and just watch, and we were perfectly content to let them! Jenny and the volunteer coordinator both warned us that when we got ready to leave, they'd cry like they never got any attention or affection, but that that wasn't at all true! Sure enough, when we started putting them down and waving bye-bye, such tears and wails! At one point Shea, the coordinator asked if we had any questions, and I thought, "My only question is how many can I take with me?!"
After picking up my lamp and Jenny's things, we drove down the road to Mount Meru Game Lodge, a hotel/restaurant/game reserve. We drank coffee (them) and tea (me) and ate cookies and muffins while watching, just feet away, zebras, ostriches, monkeys, eland, peacocks, herons, storks, and several kinds of birds I don't even know the names of! We actually petted the eland (look that up - sort of in the antelope family, but bigger) and stayed till feeding time 'cause we wanted to see that, too. Then we walked over to the pens where they have crested crane, porcupines, a crocodile, all just in little walled or fenced pens.
By that time I had to leave in order to be back for team worship at 7, which was a great way to end the day.
However, it was still pretty early, so I read and watched an episode of NCIS, which I've borrowed on DVD, on my laptop, under my mosquito net, by my new lamp!!
A great Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment