Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Money=Food

A couple of months ago, I started getting texts from Apa, Teacher Julius’ wife from Karanse. I didn’t remember ever meeting her, much less gotten texts from her, so that, in itself, was surprising. However, the content of her messages was even more surprising. God had told her to start a school in a nearby village for mostly Maasai children who were not attending school. She said God told her this over several nights in dreams, and she finally did. And she wanted me to come visit her school. I had been to Karanse once in February, but did not go visit her, as I didn’t really know what I could do for her, and I suspected she wanted money, which I certainly didn’t have. (That’s not meant to sound cynical; it’s just the way it is.)

I got an additional text or two over the next month from her telling me the children were hungry and asking me, again, to come and visit. However, I didn’t have another trip to Karanse till this week.

In the meantime, my parents’ tax man, who graciously did my taxes last year and this year, gave Mama some money for me to spend on food for hungry children. I brought it with me to Karanse this week, planning to give it to Pastor or Godfrey, as I know and trust their judgment on issues like this. Yesterday I was talking with Julius about Apa and her school, and he said, “It would be good if you could go.” Because I‘m here on my own this week I really had no excuse to not go, so Moses suggested I take Julius with me and we go together.

This morning I was praying on my way to school about how to handle the visit to Apa’s school, what I should do about money, etc., when I remembered Robert’s money! I may be slow to catch on to some things, but she had hungry children, I had money to spend for hungry children – no brainer! I did, however, pray that God would give me wisdom in dealing with this if I would be setting up expectations, building dependency, etc., and told Him He had till later this morning to change my mind! At lunch I talked with Julius about it, and he was all for it. He finished up teaching shortly after lunch, and off we went. We went back to Sanya Juu, near where I stay at Angaza, and shopped for food to take: 10 kilos of rice and 5 liters of cooking oil, with money left over to give her for beans to come from the market, where they would be cheaper. (She sent me a text later saying she was able to get 10 kilos of beans, 1 kilo of salt, and onions. All of that for around $35; not bad!) Apa has 20 children at her school, and I know this is only a drop in the bucket, but I was trying to be wise in my use of the money and not completely overwhelm her at the same time.

Another 20 or so minutes on not-the-worst road I’ve ever driven on (!), and we were there. Julius had not told her I was coming, and I hadn’t thought to tell her, so it was quite a surprise! Unfortunately, because she didn’t know we were coming, she had already dismissed the children, but that’s probably OK, especially for the first time. She was so excited to see me and cried over the food. Even meeting her, I still don’t feel like I ever met her before, unless it was at church or some school function or something, but she acted like we were long-lost sisters, so I went along with it. I took pictures of the classroom and their family, and then I asked her to tell me the story of the school in person. She told me about God’s voice in the dream, but this time she told me there was a face, too, which she couldn’t see, except to see it was white. She had the same dream a couple of times, and finally the mists cleared from the face, and it was me! That was why she started texting me, because she knew, somehow, I was supposed to be a part of this. She said she kept asking God, “But, how will I get Miriam?” and that’s when the texts started. I told her the story about Robert and the money and about how God was answering her prayers by speaking to someone over in the US, then using me to deliver the money/food. I wanted her to tell her children, who have been praying and asking for food, that God had not abandoned them, but that He heard their prayers.

I also have some school supplies I was given before I came here to use however I thought best, so I told Apa next time I come I will bring those. She asked me to keep praying for their little school because they have dreams to expand! I will say for these people of vision – they don’t let a little thing like having no money stop them! I ended my visit with a prayer for them and a tour of the “property” and the expanded version of all they hope to accomplish there, and then I headed back to Angaza. Pretty amazing afternoon. Thanks, Robert, for your incredible part in this!

She texted me today to tell me the childrenw were eating and praising God for miracles!

And, once again, as soon as I can download pictures of Apa and her school, I'll post them!

No comments:

Post a Comment