Me with my sponsored children

Me with my sponsored children
Me with my sponsored children

Monday, March 5, 2012

Observing, observing, and more observing!

Last week was my week to observe at our Joshua school here on base. We have 3 student teachers here for their teaching practice and a fourth that we just brought up from Kondoa (not very pleased with her performance there and thought she needed closer supervision).
Also, as part of our mentor-training of 3 of the teachers at JSA, one of our teachers here, Celina, was doing a seminar with 3 of the current teachers. So, over the course of 3 or 4 days, I logged in about 20 observations – separate classes/seminars! Needless to say, the school children got very used to seeing me in their classes! One Class 1 little girl, Cutie (how much do you love that name?!) said to me on Friday, “Teacher Miriam, I will miss you!” I thought, no, you won’t – I’ll be around next week, too!

I saw some very good understanding on the part of our 3 regular student teachers, but Esther needs much prayer, interaction with the mentors and other student teachers and teachers, and a heart that is open to feedback and willing to make appropriate changes in her methods and attitudes. Hard to be this close to finishing the course and realize one of them just doesn’t “get” it. Then, I remind myself how completely foreign some of this is to them, and what a big shift in their thinking this all requires, and it keeps me hopeful that it will come. (But, we did also ask Lynda and Joanna to observe her as they have seen way more student teachers than we have and have a better picture of how far off she may/may not be. So, we’ll see.)

No comments:

Post a Comment